Monday, January 02, 2012

India is a trip

There was a point during my first day here in Delhi when I thought, “India’s kinda like Vietnam. They’re both noisy, crowded, and have crazy traffic. It’s not that different.”

And then I saw the cows eating complacently in the middle of the street and thought, definitely not Vietnam.

It’s Day 3 of my trip. I’ve felt frustration (at the touts), pleasure (at my first great Indian curry—took three attempts to find a truly good one), giddiness (because I got a little drunk on New Year’s Eve), relief (whenever I escape to my room, high above Delhi’s Paharganj neighborhood), and more frustration (at more touts).

Well, I said I wanted a challenge. India is certainly that.

Some notes/impressions
  • The Airport Metro Express is so clean and shiny.
  • If one more man tries to sell me a Srinagar (Kashmir) tour package, I can’t be held responsible for what I do. I told one such man, “I don’t want to go there now, I read that recent temperatures are below freezing.” He asked, “Where did you read that?” I said, “The news.” He said, with scorn, “Oh, the news.” I agreed, “As if they know what they’re talking about."
  • I’m not entering any more tourist offices to "take business cards." Both times I walked into an office for that reason, I got offered a seat, a cup of chai, and would I please look at these pictures of Srinagar? I declined and beat a hasty retreat, to looks of annoyance that I wouldn’t play along. Fool me twice, shame on me.
  • One man said I should buy a Punjab outfit because touts might think I’m Tibetan and leave me alone. Then he directed me to a tourist office claiming it was a government one, but it wasn’t.
  • I’ve been twice asked, “What is your good name?” I did not say, “My good name, dear fellow, is Pauline.”
  • I haven’t taken a shower yet because my current shower seems to be a cold water faucet and a bucket. The plan was to find a new hostel, but since I’m leaving tomorrow for Agra there’s no point now. Good thing I have dry hair shampoo. 

1 comment:

Andrea said...

How does dry hair shampoo work?

"The news" - that cracked me up!

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...