Wednesday, January 04, 2012

My New Year's Eve in Delhi

Well, it wasn’t the most exciting New Year’s Eve, but at least I wasn’t curled up in a little ball crying like I worried. Actually, the more likely scenario was that I’d sleep through it entirely because the jet lag was so bad. But at 10 pm I forced myself out of bed. “You’ve got to do something because you can't spend New Year’s Eve in Delhi in bed,” I told myself groggily.

I pulled on my going-out clothes (jeans, V-neck, soccer cleats, and a green hoodie—yeah, I was super hot) and tried to go to Connaught Place, the main commercial district. While it has many bars and restaurants, I just wanted to see if there’d be crowds celebrating outdoors, like we have in so many American cities.

Then Khan started walking with me. Even though I figured he was trying to sell me something, I was by myself on New Year’s Eve, so I decided to accept the bad with the good. Plus, he seemed clean-cut and had better English than the other guy who had approached earlier. Khan kept trying to convince me to go to a local bar in the Paharganj neighborhood where I was staying, but I insisted on walking to Connaught Place.

So he came with me. There were several police roadblocks, which Khan said was to check that people weren’t driving drunk. We reached the outer edge of Connaught Place when one cop stopped us. Khan pointed to me and said something, and the cop waved us through. Turns out men weren’t allowed to enter Connaught Place alone (known as stag entry), but we could enter as a couple (this is also a rule that many Delhi nightclubs have). But we couldn’t get past the next cop, who asked us for our passes.

We turned around and headed back to Paharganj for the Metropolis Hotel’s bar that Khan wanted to go to. Then we talked about all sorts of stuff, but mostly sex. He was definitely fascinated with the West’s looser mores. When midnight came the only other group at the restaurant cheered, and a 10-year-old boy came to hug us each. The group was exchanging kisses, and Khan asked if that meant we should kiss too. “No. It’s because they’re European,” I said. He asked to kiss my hand. "It's not happening," I said.

May the next year be a lovely one!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hilarious!!

Goodness that guy was horny.

May your next post have photos.

My wonderful father has died

Hao Van Vu, who left Vietnam after the war and built a new life in southern California, died on Feb. 20 after a lengthy battle with lun...